Thursday, March 17, 2011

It's Salsa Stoup Time

The last time we talked dear readers I was catching peoples mouths on fire. But, it was a good fire. Is that like the people in Arizona that say "but it's a dry heat"? Anyway, last nights supper was recipe #24 for those that are following along. For those that are not, it was Salsa Stoup with Double Decker Baked Quesadillas. Kevin, Seth, Melissa and I all ate. All of us agreed it could have been spicier but after the fiery hot ribeye escapade I was trying to tone it down a bit so I followed the recipe, well for the most part I did. Just to let you know, I didn't color inside the lines when I was a kid and I did run with scissors! Oops, back on track, I did use a potato masher to break up the tomatoes after I added them, and I probably added twice the amount of chicken stock that it called for. I know I am bad but I just can't help it, it just seemed reallllly thick to me and I wanted it more "stoupier".


I sent the left overs home with Melissa and Seth and told her that I think if she added some hot sausage to the "stoup" and then poured it over noodles it would be really good. I am always trying to help them find ways to make dinner that doesn't cost them an arm and a leg. Well, aren't we all right? But I know how hard it can be to make recipes for just two people, so if I can help out I do.


The quesadillas were good. I liked the green onions in them for crunch, but again I was looking for some heat. For those of you that are not big pepper or spice lovers please make this meal. The soup was a nice twist on regular tomato soup and the quesadillas are cheesy and yummy. For us wild ones, kick up the heat. Add Serrano peppers instead of jalapenos and maybe do three instead of 2. Live life dangerously! Seriously this is a great quick meal for someone that doesn't want the traditional grilled cheese sammy and tomato soup.


Doesn't it look yummy? 






Salsa Stoup and Double-Decker Quesadillas


Ingredients

2 tablespoons vegetable oil (twice around the pan), plus some for brushing the tortillas
2 Jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 28 ounce can stewed tomatoes (may need to chop these to make them easier to eat)
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock or broth
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
6- 6 to 8 inch flour tortillas
3 scallions, chopped
1 cup shredded Pepper Jack
Sour cream, for garnish

Directions


Preheat the oven to 300 F.

Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable oil and the jalapenos, bell peppers, onions, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, then saute the veggies for 5 minutes. Add all the tomatoes and stock and bring to a bubble. Reduce the heat to a simmer and stir in the cilantro.

Paint one side of 2 tortillas with oil and place them, oiled side down, on a large cookie sheet. Mix the cheddar with the scallions and divide between the tortillas evenly. Top with another tortilla and top each of those with equal amounts of Pepper Jack Cheese. Set the last tortillas on top and brush the tops with oil. Bake the quesadillas for 10 minutes, then cool for 5 minutes to set. Cut each into 6 wedges.

Serve each bowl of stoup with 3 wedges of quesadilla along side and sour cream for topping either.






Salsa Soup


Quick Quesadillas on Foodista

No comments:

Post a Comment