Sunday, March 13, 2011

Goooooood Morning!

Well I woke up this morning a bit tired and upset that last nights recipe didn't go very well. Like I said, I knew it was bound to happen, but I guess I would find the positive in everything. I know, get your head out of the clouds Bobbi.


This morning was recipe #1, Scramblewiches. I was nervous about this one as well. It is pretty simple, cook some deli ham in butter, add eggs with some S&P, hot sauce and a splash of milk, scramble and put them inside some scooped out bread boats with cheese topped with chives. Simple? Yes. Exciting? No. Tasty? Well, we all liked it so I guess it would be a yes. It was supposed to make 4 adult size servings, but it just seemed too big for me so I cut the bread down and made 8 normal size servings.


It was nothing fancy. Nothing I think I would crave. I don't see me waking up in the middle of the night telling Kevin "Oh My God I have GOT to have a scramblewich tomorrow or I will die!". But it was a good filling breakfast, so after last nights disappointment I will take this as a win. 


Out of 5 Stars I would give it ***



Scramblewiches

Ingredients
1 baguette (day old is fine)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 pound deli sliced ham, smoked turkey, pastrami, or corned beef
8 large eggs
a splash of milk
a teaspoon of hot sauce
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 deli slices of Swiss cheese (halved lengthwise to fit bread), or 8 slices of cheddar (2 squares per bread), or 6 slices Provolone cheese ( 1 1/2 slices per bread, cut to fit)
chopped fresh chives or parsley

Directions
preheat oven to 200

crisp the bread in the oven, split it lengthwise, and hollow it out. Cut each piece in half again, across, making four boats. Switch the broiler on.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and melt it. When the bubbles stop, add the meat and cook, separating the pieces, for 3 minutes, or until brown at the edges. In a bowl beat the eggs with the milk, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Add to the meat and scramble, keeping the eggs a little soft. They will continue to cook in the oven.

Divide the eggs among the bread and cover with the cheese. Melt the cheese under the broiler. Take i tout as soon as the cheese softens and melts. Do not brown or allow the cheese to bubble; there are eggs under there! Garnish with the chopped chives or parsley.


No comments:

Post a Comment